Wednesday 8 September 2010

Guiding Principles

I have been reflecting on what has influenced my approach to working as a consultant. 25 years ago my friend Gerry Egan (a world class consultant) shared with me his guiding principles. I have tried to use them ever since.

Here they are:

1. What ever you do should be based on the needs of the business and not the latest management fad.

2. There are no magic formulas for success.

3. The wisdom to make the business a success resides within.

4. Managers benefit from having a set of shared models to help them to find and use internal wisdom.

5. Your role is to facilitate learning in an organisation not to tell them what to do.

6. Seek to work as close to the top of the organisation as you can.

7. Your biggest contribution will be to help the management develop a shared strategy, create a preferred culture and manage the 'shadow side' of the organisation.

Well there they are. I hope I have managed to apply these principles in my work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home